out of filedescriptors

Dan Merillat harik at chaos.ao.net
Tue Oct 26 05:39:34 UTC 1999

Katsuhiro Kondou writes:
> In article <ylemej9f1e.fsf at windlord.stanford.edu>,
> 	Russ Allbery <rra at stanford.edu> wrote;
>
> } > Has anyone solved this problem ?
> }
> } Not that I'm aware of.  The easiest solution would probably be to fall
>
> Not so difficult.  Skip 'SMsetup(SM_PREOPEN, (void *)&val)'
> line in nnrpd/nnrpd.c.  That would make nnrpd not to open
> whole cycbuffs.  But I believe this will cause performance
> defeat when retrieving overview data with article checking.

Depending on how many buffers the group you are reading is spanning, of
course.  As an alternative, which platforms do large CNFS buffers work on?

I.E. if I toss my buffers at a raw disk in linux, will that work?
I don't really see the need to maintain a block descriptor table and
inodes for a large continuous chunk of data, unless there's a perfomance
hit to using /dev/sdX rather then a filesystem.

--Dan