Buffer overflow in inndstart

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Sep 7 12:22:05 UTC 1999

Russ Allbery <rra at Stanford.EDU> writes:

> If anyone objects to me doing this, yell now.  The potential drawback is
> that I can't just copy concat() from libiberty because libiberty is
> GPL'd, so I'll need to write it myself, which means it will be a
> straight stdarg implementation and won't work with varargs.  (I know
> nothing about varargs and don't have a system that uses them to test
> on.)  If people care strongly about INN continuing to work on a system
> without stdarg.h, yell now, and I'll come up with something else; the
> general consensus seems to be towards assuming ANSI C, though.

Never mind; turns out that Solaris still documents and provides the
varargs interface as well as stdarg, so I was able to implement it too and
test.  It's actually not particularly hard to set up a few preprocessor
macros to let you write both at the same time and keep the code fairly
clean.

I'm checking in the results now.  Tested with both stdarg and varargs on
Solaris 2.6, includes some simple test cases.  The code is in the public
domain (insert rant about putting licenses on implementations of basic
programming techniques not helping anything and resulting in a net
increase in the amount of bad code in the world here).