Coding style

brister at vix.com brister at vix.com
Tue Sep 7 18:43:18 UTC 1999

I'm not a style-nazi (because I'm secure in the knowledge that my personal
style (which isn't at all like INN's) is the best :-) If people submit
patches, then I would prefer that the coding style follow the original file as
much as possible. If someone submits an entirely new file, then I don't much
care about indentation and brace placing.  I do like to see lots of white
space, both vertical and horizontal. The procmail package's source doesn't
fit. e.g.

        if(e)
         { r->opc=OPC_CLASS;r->next=Ceps e;Cc(r,pos1.st_)=Cc(r,pos2.st_)=0;
           i=maxindex(rAc);
           do rAc[i]=j?~0:0;                         /* preset the bit field */
           while(i--);
         }

I guess the only thing in Russ's set of rules I'd argue against is:

>         if (p) free(p);

vs.

>         if (p != NULL) free(p);

I too am a Perl programmer, but I stay away from implicit conversions whe
possible and I think the second conveys the real intent of the test better.

James
--
James Brister                                            brister at vix.com
Internet Software Consortium