Perl portability

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 9 05:35:04 UTC 1999

The Hermit Hacker <scrappy at hub.org> writes:
> On 8 Sep 1999, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> One fix is to re-order the -I options when compiling perl.c and hope
>> that that will cause compilers to grab Perl's first.  Another fix (and
>> a slightly cleaner one) would be to rename include/patchlevel.h to
>> something like include/innversion.h.

>> Preferences?

> innversion.h or just version.h sounds reasonable...

The advantage of innversion.h over version.h is that if we link against
something else embedded and it decides to use version.h instead of
patchlevel.h, we don't end up with the same problem.  If something else
uses innversion.h, we'll yell at them.  :)

James, will renaming it break anything?

(And what's the preferred renaming method?  Adding a new file and cvs
removing the old one, or copying the RCS file inside the CVS repository
and then cvs removing the old name?)