Why is this message an error?

Paul Tomblin ptomblin at xcski.com
Thu Sep 9 13:34:01 UTC 1999

The sysadmin on one of my sites is complaining about the innd message
"internal rejecting huge article (%d > %d)".  He doesn't think it should be an
L_ERROR, because errors get emailed to him.  I have to agree, that that
rejection is not an error, it's a policy decision.  For consistency with the
rejections in the perl filter, it should be an L_NOTICE.

If you agree, I'd like to submit the following patch on inn 2.2.1:

*** innd/nc.c.bak	Thu Sep  9 09:32:21 1999
--- innd/nc.c	Thu Sep  9 09:32:42 1999
***************
*** 964,970 ****
  		    cp->Argument = NULL;
  		}
  		i = cp->LargeArtSize + bp->Used;
! 		syslog(L_ERROR, "%s internal rejecting huge article (%d > %d)",
  		    CHANname(cp), i, innconf->maxartsize);
  		cp->LargeArtSize = 0;
  		(void)sprintf(buff, "%d Article exceeds local limit of %ld bytes",
--- 964,970 ----
  		    cp->Argument = NULL;
  		}
  		i = cp->LargeArtSize + bp->Used;
! 		syslog(L_NOTICE, "%s internal rejecting huge article (%d > %d)",

--
Paul Tomblin, not speaking for anybody.
SETI at Home:  Finally a *good* way to impress Jodie Foster