bug report, expire

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Sat Sep 11 14:58:32 UTC 1999

well, i'm pretty sure this is a bug.

for the last week or so since bringing online my reader-services box,
running inn-1999-09-08_03-00,
my expire report has been filled with many thousands of the following lines:

Expire messages:
expire begin Fri Sep 10 03:04:48 PDT 1999: (-v1 -z/usr/local/www/log/expire.rm)
     Class definition 0 is missing from control file, assuming never expiration
     Class definition 0 is missing from control file, assuming never expiration
     Class definition 0 is missing from control file, assuming never expiration
     Class definition 0 is missing from control file, assuming never expiration

That in itself would be dandy and informative -- if I were using class
definition 0 for anything. In fact, my classes begin with 1, end with 4,
and class 3 is tradspool - and was the only entry in expire.ctl:

news-nnrp /usr/local/news% more etc/expire.ctl
/remember/:14
3:1:31:never

My annoyance at the error messages peaked last night, when I changed
expire.ctl to:

news-nnrp /usr/local/news% more etc/expire.ctl
/remember/:14
3:1:31:never
0:1:31:never

Lo and behold, expire ran without the ten-thousand error lines, but it did
have:

Daily Usenet report from Sep 10 03:00:02 to Sep 11 03:00:01

---------

Segmentation Fault - core dumped
Expire messages:
expire begin Sat Sep 11 03:04:25 PDT 1999: (-v1 -z/usr/local/www/log/expire.rm)
     Article lines processed  2857968

I have the core dump if it would be of any use - it's 23megs in size. Not
being a programmer/developer, the extent of my ability to analyze it begins
and ends with "hey looky there it's a big core dump".

Paul

--
Paul Theodoropoulos                 Advanced TelCom Group, Inc.
Senior UNIX Systems Administrator             Internet Services