authentication via nnrpd_auth.pl

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Tue Apr 4 23:54:54 UTC 2000

Hollerith, Alexander <Alexander.Hollerith at compaq.com> writes:

> Documentation says that

>     "authenticate() should return a four-element array.  The first
>     element is the NNTP response code to return to the client, the
>     second element is a boolean value indicating whether the client is
>     allowed to read, the third element is a boolean value indicating
>     whether the client is allowed to post, and the fourth element is a
>     wildmat(3) expression that says what groups the client is allowed to
>     read."

> As I can see in the nnrpd sources (perl.c) the array should have five
> elements.  Can anyone point me to a documentation update?

The documentation has been updated (as of a while back).  Sorry about
that.  Here's the updated section:

    authenticate() should return a five-element array.  The first element
    is the NNTP response code to return to the client, the second element
    is a boolean value indicating whether the client is allowed to read,
    the third element is a boolean value indicating whether the client is
    allowed to post, the fourth element is a wildmat(3) expression that
    says what groups the client is allowed to read, and the fifth element
    is the maximum bytes per second a client is permitted to use for
    retrieving articles.