inn2.3 - SERVER cant initialize the storage subsystem

Philip Pishioneri pgp1 at Cornell.edu
Wed Apr 5 22:48:24 UTC 2000

Russ Allbery wrote:

> unilerik <unilerik at green.rnd.uni-c.dk> writes:
>
> > Trying to set up inn2.3/cnfs/buffindexed (inn-2000-02-09_03-01) on a
> > ibm/aix 4.3.3 box.
>
> > Configured with flag: --with-largefiles
> > And output from configure says:
>
> > checking for largefile linkage... ok
>
> > But if a cycbuff exceed 2 Gb INN won't start and logs this:
>
> > Feb 11 12:30:31 holein1 innd: CNFS-sm: file '/cycbuffs/buff_01' does not
> > exist, ignoring 'BUFF01' cycbuff
>
> This indicates that the large file linkage isn't sufficient to get stat()
> working on files larger than 2GB.  Checking man pages on an AIX 4.3.3 box
> I have here, AIX apparently wants you to use stat64() instead.  Solaris
> will quietly map stat() to stat64() and make the correct structure changes
> if you compile with the large file flags, but some other operating systems
> don't do it that way.
>
> I'm afraid that INN doesn't currently have configure support for fixing
> this.  It wouldn't be too difficult to add it, but it would require
> autoconf changes and probably defining an internal stat type in INN that
> can be set as appropriate for large file support.
>
> So currently, you're probably stuck using <2GB cycbuffs unless you want to
> tackle that problem.  :/

AIX has a compilation define, _LARGE_FILES, which "transparently"
enables 64 bit offsets and redefines subroutine calls to be their 64 bit
counterparts.

IBM has a document which talks about this and the problems that one
should be wary of: see "Writing Programs That Access Large Files" at

http://www.rs6000.ibm.com/doc_link/en_US/a_doc_lib/aixprggd/genprogc/prg_lrg_files.htm

The last time I was running INN 2.2 on an AIX system I decided to live
with 2GB files, so I can't provide feedback on how well this technique
works with INN.

-Phil