Proposed patch: cancel channel

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:05:17 UTC 2000

Olaf Titz <olaf at bigred.inka.de> writes:

> I'd like to have this feature in the next INN release:
> <URL:http://sites.inka.de/~bigred/sw/inn-cancel.txt>
> It greatly simplifies the implementation of c-nocem (the fastcancel
> program, which is getting uglier and uglier, can be retired, and no
> need for pausing the server any more).

> The idea is that for sending local cancels in bulk, the NNTP
> (unix-domain) socket is used. The client connects, sends the new command
> MODE CANCEL, waits for response (new code 284) and after that it simply
> sends all Message-IDs it wants to be cancelled. For each one it gets a
> response code 289 for success and 484 for failure. Other than the
> command protocol, this works exactly like "ctlinnd cancel".  On a TCP/IP
> socket, the MODE CANCEL command is refused, so only locally installed
> programs under the news UID can use it.

> Please tell me what do you think of this patch. It was done this way
> because it was simple, perhaps there are some issues still to be ironed
> out.

Hi Olaf,

This has been on my list to look at for a very long time, since I very
much want this capability in INN.  Sorry about taking so long to look at
it.  It looks to me to be pretty straightforward, and the patch is smaller
than I expected.

Should we make a special exception and try sticking this into INN 2.3 at
the last minute under the deadline?  It *looks* safe, and it's small, and
this seems important functionality.  Or should I hold off until after the
release branch and make this one of the first things to go into 2.4?