auth people by email or flat file

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:44:00 UTC 2000

Jean-Francois Brison <jfb at iconmedialab.com> writes:

> Is there any way to authenticate people by their email addresses so that
> only articles coming from specific email addresses are allowed to post?

You can do this using either the Perl or Python filters in nnrpd.  I'm
afraid there isn't any built-in mechanism for doing this without writing
some code.

> And what about the readers.conf file I read everywhere about?  In which
> release is it included and is it considered as stable?

It's in the current snapshots and seems fairly stable at this point,
although it's a bunch of new code and needs another rewrite in the near
future.  (And a comprehensive test suite.)  This is on the list,
somewhere....

> Another question: I have read about the ability to read
> username/password from system files (ie etc/passwd).  Is there any way
> to read password from another flat file in the same format (e.g. in the
> same format as .htpasswd)?

It's fairly easy to do this in INN 2.3 using the external ckpasswd
program.