[Off Topic?] - Threading in usenet messages?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 09:23:48 UTC 2000

Nathan Poole <nathan at nerdboy.com.au> writes:

> Apologies if this is off-topic.

> Has anybody done threading whilst talking to a news server via perl? I'm
> looking at the Net:NNTPClient perl module, and it appears to have an
> 'xthread' method, but can't seem to make it happen... Is this the right
> way to do it, or do I have to write code manually to look at the
> referrences in the header etc recursively?

XTHREAD is just another way of getting References data; it's pretty much
obsolete now in favor of the more standard XOVER command to get overview
data.  Check the News::* modules on CPAN; someone else may have written a
module that will do threading from References headers by now.

Threading isn't done on the server; it's entirely in the client.  So it's
a matter of finding a client library that knows how to do this.