history > 2 GB on FreeBSD

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 09:51:35 UTC 2000

Michael Beckmann <petzi at apfel.de> writes:

> I am running inn-1999-11-03_03-01 on a FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE system.
> After some time, the history grew over 2 GB, and my suspicion is,
> that this is the cause why nnrpd clients are unable to retrieve
> messages by message ID (they get a 430) while message retrievals
> by article number work fine.

> The nnrpd message in news.err is

> cant pread from -1 File too large

> I would appreciate suggestions for workarounds.

On some platforms, you can recompile INN with large file support, but this
may cause problems with existing cycbuffs (I've not tried it, and off_t
changing types may confuse some things).  If possible, you want to just
reduce the size of your history file; reducing artcutoff and /remember/ to
7 from 14 days may be a good way of doing that.