ChangeLog

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 20:29:45 UTC 2000

Fabien Tassin <fta at oleane.net> writes:
> According to Russ Allbery:

>> I generated the INN 2.3 ChangeLog, and it was about 200KB total.  Do
>> people feel this is worth including in the distribution in addition to
>> the more general notes in the NEWS file?  It seemed like a bit of
>> overkill to me, but I can generate it and include it if people feel it
>> should be there.

> If you look at how Perl people (p5p) deals with this, you'll find that
> they give all ChangeLog files (hashed by release) :

> -r--r--r--    1 root      root       1430857 Mar 23 06:39 Changes
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root          7711 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.000
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root         48081 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.001
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root        121367 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.002
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root          4193 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.003
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root        512719 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.004
> -r--r--r--    1 root      root       1037162 Jul 20  1999 Changes5.005

> (the unlabeled file is always the lastest - 5.6.0 here)
> It's useful if you follow the developpement process closely.

Yeah, but that's the thing... the ChangeLog *just for INN 2.3* is 200KB.
So having multiple ChangeLogs is a good idea but doesn't reduce the size.
Part of that problem is that we're not maintaining a separate regular
ChangeLog manually and combining entries together and the like, and while
cvs2cl is reasonably good at figuring this out, it still generates a more
verbose log than a human would.  Maybe by ~50KB or so.  (It was also a
really ugly log until I did the prefiltering; now it's reasonably
readable.)

People seem to want it, though, and it's about 60KB compressed with gzip
-9, which is a fairly small portion of the size of the release.  So... I
guess I'm leaning towards including it unless there are lots of arguments
opposed.

> IMHO, our NEWS file is too "light". A lot of people are still using INN
> 1.* but it's not covered (nor the upgrade path, nor the changes list).

I'm committed to keeping all the information currently in the NEWS file
still in the NEWS file, so in time this will work itself out, but yeah, if
anyone wants to write upgrade instructions from INN 1.x for NEWS, patches
are gratefully accepted.