Clienttimeout

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Apr 10 20:40:53 UTC 2000

Rabl Mario <mario.rabl at uta.at> writes:

> I'm not that firm in INN, but I have to run 2 mashines (SuSE with 2.2.1
> and 2.2.2).  My servers bring back a timeout-message after 10 sec of
> inactivity. I thought, I can set a higher timeout with "clienttimeout"
> in inn.conf - but it is already on 3600 (secs?), so I don't know, if
> this is the ride parameter for this?

There are two different timeouts; one is how long INN will wait for the
first command after first opening the connection, and the other is how
long it will let the client be idle after it's already issued some
commands.  clienttimeout is the latter one, and defaults to 600 (ten
minutes); I have it set to one hour (3600) just like you do.

The first timeout is defined in nnrpd.c and currently isn't configurable
without recompiling:

/*
** Here is some defensive code to protect the news server from hosts,
** mostly PC's, that sometimes make a connection and then never give
** any commands.  The connection is abandoned, but we're never told
** about it.  The first time the connection is read, it will have a
** timeout value of INITIAL_TIMEOUT seconds.  All subsequent reads
** will have the standard timeout of CLIENT_TIMEOUT seconds.
*/
#if !defined(INITIAL_TIMEOUT)
#define INITIAL_TIMEOUT 10
#endif

It defaults to 10 seconds.  I suppose it could be made more easily
configurable if this default is causing problems (although I'd prefer to
avoid more configuration options unless there's good reason to add it).