cnfs cycbuff problem

Paul Theodoropoulos paul at atgi.net
Tue Apr 11 22:43:13 UTC 2000

At 03:32 PM 04/11/2000, Russ Allbery wrote:
>Brian Kantor <brian at UCSD.Edu> writes:
>
> > As a data point, 'cnfsstat -a' on my news transit system ran for about
> > 88 minutes elapsed time before I killed it.  It hadn't come up with an
> > answer yet at that point.
>
> > Ok, so I have a 400MB history file and two cnfs buffers of 16GB each it
> > had to wander around in, but still...  (BSD/OS 4.1,
> > inn-STABLE_2_2-2000-03-22_03-07, about 2.6 GB/hour incoming)
>
>700MB history file, 14 1GB cycbuffs, and cnfsstat -a finished nearly
>immediately for me and found the oldest article in every case.
>
>--
>Russ Allbery (rra at stanford.edu)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>

I find that it tends to be dependent upon the instantaneous load on the
server at the time you run the command. Sometimes it'll stall indefinitely
for me after listing some of the buffers, other times it spins right
through all of them to the end without a hiccup.

If I'm desparate (yeah, right) to see the info, i just issue a 'ctlinnd
pause now' right before running it. That seems to be all that's needed (and
don't forget the 'ctlinnd go now' when yer done!  ;^)

Paul

Paul Theodoropoulos                        Advanced TelCom Group Inc.
Senior Unix Systems Administrator          Internet Services Division
paul at atgi.net                              Santa Rosa, California, US
Work: http://www.atgi.net             Play: http://www.anastrophe.com
"Reliability means never having to say you're sorry." -D.J. Bernstein