cnfs cycbuff problem

Kjetil Torgrim Homme kjetilho at ifi.uio.no
Wed Apr 12 02:04:11 UTC 2000

[Brian Kantor]

>   >  Oldest: beats me, who knows how long ago
>
>   The comment before that code is
>     # We give up if the article is missing in history, or else
>     # we stand a high risk of checking the whole cycbuff...

That comment is obsolete, someone added code to try ten times.
Shouldn't be a problem, though.

The -a code is an ugly hack (I'm entitled to say that since I wrote it
:-), it basically jumps into the buffer and looks for a Message-ID
header.  It uses the normal <> operator to do input, and if you
happened to jump into a multi-megabyte expanse of NUL, Perl will spend
quite some time gobbling memory.

To make a reliable cnfsstat, the <BUFF> needs to be replace by calls
to read().  I'll look into it tomorrow, shouldn't be very hard,
really.

Kjetil T.