posting news

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 12 02:35:01 UTC 2000

Uwe Wagner <Uwe.Beach at gmx.de> writes:

> I'm running INN on host rnieb with SuSE Linux 6.2 and Netscape on host
> kiraly with SuSE 6.2. New articles are stored in
> /var/spool/news/in.coming on rnieb.  It's right ?

No.  They should be posted directly to the newsgroup.  I wish I knew what
it was about the default configuration of INN on some Linux distributions
that causes them to spool all articles first rather than posting them to
the news server.

Make sure that spoolfirst isn't set in inn.conf.

> Then I do a 'cat article | rpost rnieb' and get the following error :

> Connected to rnieb.rhein-neckar.de
> 200 rnieb.rhein-neckar.de InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.2 21-Jan-1999
> ready (posting ok).
> 340 Ok
> 441 Can't set system "NNTP-Posting-Host" header

This is an unrelated problem; you have to filter out some headers when
using POST to distribute articles to an upstream server.  Check the
documentation for rpost.  I'm pretty sure that it already knows how to do
this.  NNTP-Posting-Host is one of the ones you need to filter out.