mods to readers.conf?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Apr 12 16:07:36 UTC 2000

On 10 Apr 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:

> > The problem is that various managers have become attached to their ACLs
> > that are stored in the LDAP server.
>
> > I would like to add that functionality to INN.
>
> > Is this a sane thing to do?
>
> Yes, definitely, if you're comfortable doing some programming.  I'd very
> much like to see this, and it was in the original plan for readers.conf
> that authenticators could return additional information like this.  The
> problem is that at this point, that code is all rather ugly and badly
> needs to be rewritten.

The problem is that the auth interface is in some ways in the wrong place.
The ident interface determines who you are, if auth will be extended to
include the read and post group lists maybe it should have been in access
in the first place. I'm not sure this is going to be easy to understand
(not that it is anyway) with additional functionality.

Perhaps the cleanest way would be to add another API to the access stanza,
which could be called to bypass the default read: and post: settings, just
as ident does. That would at least fit the existing spirit of the
implementation, I think. call the "getperms" interface with the ident and
get back read and post settings if the default is not to be used.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc