Expanded readers.conf documentation

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 13 00:56:01 UTC 2000

Aidan Cully <aidan at panix.com> writes:

> Thank you very, very, much for taking the time to go through the code
> and write this man page...  There are a few comments I'd like to make:

Thanks!  This was very helpful.

> This might be a bit misleading, since the 'radius' program I wrote is
> an 'auth:' program...

Yeah, I was very confused about what that program did.  Fixed.

> I think that's also a bit false...  IIRC, I wrote the code such that
> when a 'users:' keyword isn't given, it'll match auth groups that didn't
> succesfully return an auth identity, which 'users: *' doesn't do.

Ah, yes, I see that now.  Fixed.

> I would prefer it if this one was written
> 	hosts: "*.example.com, example.com"
> because, as written, the hosts: will match fooexample.com, and others,
> instead of the probably intended example.com hosts/subdomains.

Good point.  Fixed.

> You may want to get rid of the 'default: <FAIL>' line here, in case (for
> some God-forsaken reason) someone wants to have a user named <FAIL>.
> These access groups will hopefully deal with this case (though checking
> me on this would probably be a good idea):

> access full {
> 	users: "*"
> 	newsgroups: *
> }

> access fail {
> 	newsgroups: !*
> }

But this wouldn't work as written, correct?  I think the second access
group would match all users.  You have to put the fail group before the
full group for this to work.

Fixed with that change.

> I'd like to point out that, at least, the News Gizmo expects the
> username to be an e-mail address, so that it can send mail notifying
> users of some kinds of policy violations before they happen.  (e.g.,
> sending more than 100 messages in a day.)  I think it can be fairly
> likely that the perl filter want a valid e-mail address, and you might
> want to point this out in your doc.

I added a note on that.