File permissions changed in the CVS repository

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 13 05:46:23 UTC 2000

File permissions are another one of these things that CVS handles in a
somewhat hacked manner; the only permissions stored in the repository are
444 (for regular files) and 555 (for files that should be executable).
I've gone through the repository and set everything 444 except for those
scripts that are executable "right out of the box" (such as config.guess,
config.sub, configure, and the like).

This means that all the .in files are now not executable; fixscript will
set the resulting shell script executable itself and the pre-substitution
shell scripts really shouldn't be run as-is without a pass through
fixscript first anyway.  It also gets the permissions in the nightly
snapshots and in the eventual release more standardized and regular.

This really shouldn't make any difference beyond cosmetic, but let me know
if any problems result.