Random general status notes

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Apr 13 18:39:30 UTC 2000

I've also committed the new version of pullnews to the 2.3.0 release
branch; from James's message, I think it's well-tested enough and it was
submitted a bit before I branched.  But no new functionality now, I mean
it.  :)

Pending issues for 2.3.0:

 - Finish the script to generate the ChangeLog and put that into the
   make dist target.  I want to generate the ChangeLog automatically as
   part of making a distribution tarball rather than checking it into CVS
   as it bloats the CVS repository and should be programmatically
   deriveable from the CVS log messages.

 - Some readers.conf documentation suggestions I want to get to.

 - Announce a public beta on news.software.nntp.

 - Check through the docs and make sure that all references to beta,
   unstable, etc. are taken out for the release branch.

 - Try to get the right AIX large file flags into configure.in for the
   release branch.

 - Hopefully get Barry's innfeed bug fixes.

Upcoming 2.4.0 stuff:

 - Change the version numbers on the trunk.

 - Apply pending patches:  MODE CANCEL, innfeed to IMAP server, cleanup
   for cnfsstat, some other stuff that I have sitting in my inbox
   somewhere and have forgotten at the moment.

Oh, and I need to go update the FAQ, don't I....