<pathbin>/bin/sm not found?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 26 05:10:21 UTC 2000

Julien Oster <joster+inn at soft-research.de> writes:

> I'm (now) running INN BETA 20000424 and it works fine. I know it's BETA
> but till now I was practically almost able to tweak everything fine, if
> it was ever needed.

We're very close to a release, so it should be working well.  :)

> However, my news.daily sometimes gives me a strange output:

> Now the strange thing is that /home/news/bin/sm in fact exists, and it
> isn't a script (which would lead me to think that the #!-line at the
> beginnig might state a wrong path), no, it is a correct binary
> OpenBSD/i386 executable. Even more confusing, the program, calling it
> from the command line with the all argument (or without), works fine.

Ah, OpenBSD.  We've seen some weird problems with /bin/sh on OpenBSD.  Try
replacing /bin/sh at the beginning of the control message handling scripts
(newgroup, rmgroup, and checkgroups) with /bin/bash instead (which I
believe OpenBSD has) and see if that works any better.

Also, you really want to be running controlchan, rather than those old
control message shell scripts....