code iso with INN

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Apr 26 20:38:36 UTC 2000

Jean-Michel BESNARD <jmbesnard at almeda.de> writes:

> The problem comes if I post a news with german accent with a client like
> netscape or slrn. The subject appears with a thing like
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?f=FCr?= .

> If I read the news with netscape there is no problem, and with the web
> application I have this thing =?iso-8859-1?Q?f=FCr?= .

Your news reader is automatically encoding high-bit characters in the news
headers according to RFC 2047.  This is unrelated to INN; INN just accepts
the Subject that's provided and hands the same thing back out to clients.
You need to either tell your news reader not to encode subject headers or
teach the web application how to decode RFC 2047 encoding.