rnews: cant open_remote Illegal seek

bill davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Thu Aug 10 17:15:40 UTC 2000

  I'm doing a sort of content based feed for a site. All articles in
some groups are scanned by a small perl program, and if they have
certain things they are fed to another site. Now, since I have the whole
article in memory in the program, I tried to do the feed by opening a
pipe to rnews and pushing in the article:

  open(RNEWS, "|rnews -h localhost -r remote -P 433") || die "rnews";
  print RNEWS $Post;
  close RNEWS;

  I get the "rnews: cant open_remote Illegal seek" error in the log. The
funny thing is that it doesn't happen if I replace the host name with
"localhost" and try to re-offer them, they are offered (and rejected of
course) just fine.

  Permissions on the remote are fine, and if I write the storage tokens
for the articles in a file, and then:
  system("innxmit -a -v -P 433 remote $PWD/token_file");
the articles are sent without problem.

  A sniffer shows that the socket is never opened by rnews, so it's a
problem there and nowhere else.

  INN 2.3 BETA 00-07-23. I have this exact logic working on another
machine, using the 99-12-07 (or so) INN 2.3, so I'm willing to believe
that it's really broken if someone tells me so, but I think I remember
something totally unobvious causes this. Someone remind me, please.