a problem : SERVER cant symlink

Evrim AKMAN eakman at metu.edu.tr
Fri Aug 11 07:59:47 UTC 2000

Dear newsserver admins;

I sent a mail about the problem "SERVER cant symlink" a week ago.
below is the related lines of "news.notice"
--------------------------------
Aug  5 03:01:23 patara innd: SERVER cant write comp/graphics/explorer/2
Permission denied
Aug  5 03:43:59 patara innd: SERVER cant symlink
/usr/local/news/spool/articles/news/software/misc/59 and
news/software/notes/3 Permission denied
Aug  5 04:19:49 patara innd: SERVER throttle Permission denied writing
article file -- throttling
Aug  5 04:19:49 patara innd: SERVER cant write alt/hipcrime/boats/kayak/2
Permission denied
Aug  7 08:52:28 patara innd: SERVER cant symlink
/usr/local/news/spool/articles/
I received such errors on log files news.notice and news.err
The errors
"SERVER cant symlink" and "SERVER cant write"
caused the server throttle.

As a result of these errors server throttling.
Below are the reasons for these.
-> Error 0 writing symlinking article file -- throttling
-> Permission denied writing article file -- throttling

Today another problem I faced is that the owners of some directories are
changed and accordingly server cannot expire the articles in those
directories. there are too many directories whose owner is "root" and not
all exist in news.notice with the error "SERVER cant symlink" or "SERVER
cant write".

I wonder how the owner can be altered.

and How can I solve the problem.

Thanks for your consideration.