SM could not find token type or method was not initialized (201)

"Anders K. Pedersen" mailnews-news-inn-workers at akp.dk
Sun Aug 13 12:44:03 UTC 2000

We are running inn-BETA-20000805 on a linux 2.2.16 server. We use CNFS
for all article storage and buffindexed for overview data. We moved some
article buffers to it from an inn-2.2.2 server and recreated overview
and history databases, and started some incoming feeds, and everything
was working fine. Then by accident all the history files were deleted,
while the innd was running, and it ran for a couple of hours, before we
realized this - "news.daily expireover lowmark" ran during this period.

The next morning, when we realized that the history files were missing,
we shut innd down, and recreated the history and overview databases
again from scratch. But now all articles, that arrived before this
recreation were unavailable, and we get messages like the following in
news.err, whenever we try to read one of the previous articles:

Aug 13 13:28:53 news nnrpd[17824]: SM could not find token type or
method was not initialized (201)

When news.daily runs, the overview utilization (as reported by inndf -o)
drops from 25% to 7%. We've tried recreating the history and overview
databases several times (this increases the overview utilization back to
around 25% and rising as new articles arrive), and running 'ctlinnd
renumber ""', but the old articles are still unavailable to us.

We haven't changed cycbuff.conf or storage.conf after we first recreated
overview and history for the article buffers from the inn-2.2.2
installation, but when we had to recreate history and overview after
deleting the history files, we changed the sizes of the overview buffers
a little, and added an extra buffer. Before each recreation of the
overview database, we zeroed all the buffers using dd.

Does anyone know, why we can't get access to the old articles, and
perhaps a possible fix?

Regards,
Anders K. Pedersen
Reply to the list or to "Anders K. Pedersen" <akp at akp.dk>