split of /usr/local/news/dbd

James Ralston qralston+ml.inn-workers at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Aug 16 22:07:29 UTC 2000

On 11 Aug 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:

> People want active, newsgroups, active.times, etc. in a different
> directory than the history file; we should figure out what to call
> those directories.

The organizational split seems to be along data files which track
newsgroups on the server (small, mildly variable) and data files which
track articles on the server (large, highly variable).

Perhaps we should split them as follows:

    /usr/local/news/db

becomes

    /usr/local/news/db/articles
    /usr/local/news/db/groups

E.g.:

    /usr/local/news/db/.news.daily
    /usr/local/news/db/articles/history
    /usr/local/news/db/articles/history.dir
    /usr/local/news/db/articles/history.hash
    /usr/local/news/db/articles/history.index
    /usr/local/news/db/groups/active
    /usr/local/news/db/groups/active.old
    /usr/local/news/db/groups/active.times
    /usr/local/news/db/groups/newsgroups

I'm reluctant to abandon the "db" directory; IMO, it's a very useful
place to organize subdirs for database[-like] files.  Personally, I
wouldn't want to see the "articles" and "groups" subdirs at the
/usr/local/news level.

Thoughts?

James