Problem with inews

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 21 02:09:28 UTC 2000

Michael Stassen <stassenm at indiana.edu> writes:

> Yes.  As far as I can see, everything else works, just not inews.  And
> inews does work if I run it as the news user.

Well, that's downright bizarre.  I don't understand what's going on at
all.  It indicates that CAlistopen(FromServer, ToServer, (char *)NULL) is
failing after connecting to the server works fine....

Oh.  *sigh*  inews is trying to write to pathtmp.  Well, bleh.

Yeah, you have to either make inews setgid news or make pathtmp
world-writeable.  Neither is a good choice.  The right fix is to fix inews
so that it dosen't have to call CAlistopen at all, and I'll try to do that
for 2.3.1.