Expire crashes after eating memory (correction)

Katsuhiro Kondou kondou at nec.co.jp
Mon Aug 21 15:41:34 UTC 2000

In article <39A114AF.54020A38 at orlandi.com>,
	Daniele Orlandi <daniele at orlandi.com> wrote;

} Is a 400+ MB resident size what I should expect from an expire run ?

I think it's enough from your expire.log.  Expire allocates
memory for both .hash and .index if you're running non-
taggedhash.

} Is a 80+ MB resident size what I should expect from an expireover run ?

For buffindexed, it allocates buffer for overview data and
index when expireover runs.  If you keep very large number
of articles into a newsgroup you need much memory.  Imagine
a case e.g.;control.cancel, if the CNFS buffer for control.cancel
is 1GB, and there are 1M arts in it, overview data will be
up to 300MB.  This means you need 300MB when expireover
runs.  This is why my production server has a small buffer
for control.cancel.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou