Re-ask about disc storage

DavSmith at esoc.esa.de DavSmith at esoc.esa.de
Tue Aug 22 13:27:21 UTC 2000

Folks,

Yesterday I thought I sent the following message to the list:

> I have a machine with a 35 Gb disc mounted on /var/news/spool. Most of this is
given over to CNFS
> buffers. I'm trying to take the machine back to tradspool. So how much of what
is on that disc do I have
> to preserve. The buffers, obviously. But would it be enough to mount that disc
somewhere else on the
> filesystem, create /var/news/spool/cnfs in a new filesystem mounted to hold
the tradspool storage, and
> then make a symbolic link to where the buffers actually are?

> I can't make a new hierarchy on the higher level disc and mount the buffers on
that, because I can't
> mount anything other than the root of a filesystem, can I? And I don't want to
make a new filesystem and
> mount that on the existing /var/news/spool/articles because then I'm stuck
with the storage for the CNFS
> buffers (which will be no use after a couple of weeks) hanging redundant on
the machine.

> Your advice will be welcomed.

It's in my "Sent" folder, but I don't see it on the list archive, and don't have
any memory of seeing it sent, either.

Did anyone see it?

Does anyone have any ideas about the best  way of doing this?

Regards,

Dave Smith
--
David O Smith AMBCS