441 437 Binary in non-binary group ???

Aaron Jackson ajackson at tcba.com
Thu Aug 24 20:49:08 UTC 2000

I hate to dumb down the list, but I looked through the faq and mailing
list archive and didn't see an answer to this one.  I set up a news to
email / email to news gateway for local moderated newsgroups (and
mailing lists). Everything worked fine until I sent a email message with
a word document attached. The message bounced with the following error:

"|/usr/bin/mail2news -a web-dev at xxx.xxx.xxx    -o '.the .xxx .news
.server' -n xxx.xxx.web-dev"
    (expanded from: web-dev-news)

Can't send article to the server:
        441 437 Binary in non-binary group
(Article not posted.)
554 "|/usr/bin/mail2news -a web-dev at xxx.xxx.xxx        -o '.the .xxx
.news .server' -n xxx.web-dev"... unknown mailer error 1

Looking through the FAQ it only mentions making groups a moderated or
not, I haven't seen anything about making groups binary.  So my
question: How can I make the newsgroup accept any approved article?
Thanks.

Aaron