more on Re: what is this? transit box and daily cron - inn2.3

Jon Mansey jon at interpacket.net
Wed Aug 30 22:34:49 UTC 2000

Hi,

Im looking into why my feeder box seems to clog up for a few hours
while news.daily runs every day.

I already specified no overviews in inn.conf, but it seems to be
generating some kind of index in spool/overview anyway, any tips on
what this is and how to prevent it from being generated much
appreciated. Is it a keyword index? It contains 2 files for each
group .DAT and .IDX. Smells like an overview to me.

Secondly, the daily email report from news.daily always shows
expireover as having run. In looking into news.daily, Im going to try
to use explicitly noexpireover tonight to force DOEXPIREOVER to false
as the first test seems to be coming up with TRUE. Strange as

bash-2.03$ innconfval enableoverview
false
bash-2.03$ innconfval -s enableoverview
ENABLEOVERVIEW=false; export ENABLEOVERVIEW;

here is the test

ENABLEOVERVIEW=`echo X${ENABLEOVERVIEW} | tr ${AZ} ${az}`
if [ ${ENABLEOVERVIEW} = x"true" -o ${ENABLEOVERVIEW} = x"yes" -o
${ENABLEOVERVI
EW} = x"on" ]; then
     DOEXPIREOVER=true
     RMFILE=${MOST_LOGS}/expire.rm
fi

case "X$I" in
  Xnoexpireover)
         DOEXPIREOVER=false
         RMFILE=
         ;;

One other question about news.daily is the lowmark option. Do I need
to renumber the active file every day? Would this slow down the
server for any appreciable amount of cycles while it runs?

Any tips or configs for running transit servers welcomed.

Jon.

--

jon at interpacket.net                          Chief Science Officer
           "The Global Leader in Internet Via Satellite"