Kernel panic on a FreeBSD 4.1.1-RELEASE with innfeed

jpsp at fccn.pt jpsp at fccn.pt
Wed Dec 13 14:09:56 UTC 2000

Charles R00t wrote:

> :: times where the system crashed miserability with
> :: a kernel panic (page fault in protected mode),
> :: blaming "innfeed" for the problem.
> ::
> :: Well, this seems like a kernel problem, but
>
> This probably has nothing to do with innfeed -- at least, I've
> never seen innfeed capable of inducing a panic on a well-tuned
> system.
>
> How have you configured your kernel?  You are probably running
> out of some resource somewhere.  Have you bumped up the number
> of maxusers, and if needed, further fudged the NMBCLUSTERS and
> number of max open files up, which are the two things I've seen
> that have caused kernel panics on a network-serving machine?

We've just beefed up network buffers (1K->32K), removed
useless devices, added "ccd" pseudo-device, and
increased MAXDSIZ (->512M) and DFLDSIZ (->512M).
This is a Dell PowerEdge 4400 with 0.5GB RAM, and
3 SCSI-3 Seagate disks on a Adaptec aic7899. The NIC
is an Intel Pro 10/100B/100+.

Maybe there's a checklist somewhere about fine-tunning
freeBSD for INN?

We're also runnning a "vmstat" and "ps axlw"
every minute (but there were no incidents since then)

thanks,
jp

--
FCCN - Fundação para a Computação Científica Nacional (www.fccn.pt)