What causes these messages?

Mirek Luc mirecki at nask.pl
Thu Dec 21 16:29:35 UTC 2000

On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> Kazillions of them.  All seemingly related to cancels, although I did
> not grep all of them.
> overchan: Can't write overview "cmsg cancel
> From inn.conf:
> ovgrouppat:             *,!control.cancel, at control.cancel
Maybe "if groupbaseexpiry is set to true and the storage method for these
newsgroups does not have self-expire functionality, storing overview data
will fail." (from description of "ovgrouppat" in inn.conf(5)).

> However, my newsfeeds entry is still :
> overview!:*:Tc,WnteO:/news/bin/overchan
It only means that *all* articles go to overchan.
BTW, ovgrouppat is based on Newsgroups header, not Xref. Please notice
that most often (99.99%?) control messages have "control*" in Control
header, not Newsgroups.

-Mirek