Speeding tradspool expiry

Fabien Tassin fta at sofaraway.org
Thu Dec 28 22:09:29 UTC 2000

According to Russ Allbery:

> I want to use a large tradspool spool for my new reader server, so I'm
> trying to tackle the slow expiration speed problem that was introduced
> when we went to the storage API.

> The approach that I've come up with is to modify OVgroupbasedexpire to not
> destroy the Xref information while it does its thing, have it pass the
> Xref information to OVEXPremove, and then add a new method to each storage
> method that, given a token, its Xref information, and a FILE *, writes out
> the file names corresponding to that token to that FILE or just the
> textual representation of the token if no file applies.  (The trash method
> would just not print out anything.)  This method would only be called if
> EXPunlinkfile is non-NULL; if we're not using a separate file of articles
> to be removed, we'll continue to use the existing SMcancel mechanism.

What will happen if an article is requested in the meantime ?
I mean, if only the Xref information is available..
I assume that nnrpd should be teached about this new OV style.

> Does this sound okay to people, and does anyone have any other ideas?
> I'll be keeping the current expiration logic for the time being (so all of
> the links for a tradspool article will remain until it expires out of all
> of its newsgroups, modulo flags passed to expireover, and then they'll all
> be removed at once).

Do you already have an idea of the gain (in time) that this will give ?
how long for a complete expire/expireover by million of articles ??

Fabien Tassin -+- fta at sofaraway.org