recommended overview format ...

Jaye Mathisen mrcpu at internetcds.com
Sat Dec 30 04:28:09 UTC 2000

reviewing some old mail...

One solution that worked for me was to get my system all quiescent.

clean out the overview dir, rc.news start, wait until the ov* files
are created (few seconds), then rc.news stop, move the ov* files to
whatever drives you want, then symlink them back into the main overview
directory.

Then you don't have to RAID anything, the load can be split up, and
you don't have to mess with the DB_CONFIG file, which doesn't quite
do what you want, since any new files that ovdb create go in the first
datapath, and aren't evenly distributed over all the data dirs that you
can configure.

In my case, I dropped my ov* files on the end of each cycbuff drive,
with 16 data drives, 16 ov files, and then the logs and such in the
main spool/overview, I didn't see any load problems.

FWIW.