History file overflow

N niels at bakker.net
Tue Feb 15 01:50:00 UTC 2000

[I took the liberty of wrapping some of your lines.  Please wrap at 74
 columns or something.]

> Feb 12 05:59:07 ctb-nnrp1 innd: SERVER cant write history File too large
> Feb 12 05:59:17 ctb-nnrp1 innd: SERVER throttle Value too large for defined data type writing history file -- throttling
> etc.
>
> It seems that my history file is hitting the 2Gb mark.  When this
> happend the first time about a week ago, I rebuilt inn with
> "with-largefiles", hoping it would solve the problem, but its back
> again.  Doing a makehistory -o brings the file back to just under the
> 2gig mark, but its obviously just a matter of time before its going to
> happen again.

Are you using tagged hash?  It's not large-file safe.

> BTW is this a normal size for history for a full feed?  I am running
> with cnfs and a 160G spool. (inn 2.2 on Solaris 2.6).  Remenber is set
> at 14.

If you have a separate news transit machine, I suggest you bring this down
to a few days.  With > 200G spool I have a 1.4-1.6G history file (remember
set to 3).  The Diablo machine in front of it has less spool, a different
history format and 9 days of remember, so it'll take care of removing
duplicate articles (/news/dhistory is 300-odd K).

	-- Niels.