makedbz memory footprint

Joe St Sauver JOE at OREGON.UOREGON.EDU
Thu Feb 24 20:39:22 UTC 2000

During a recent makedbz, I noticed that makedbz can grow to a
rather astronomical size for large history files -- e.g.,
we were seeing:

  PID USERNAME THR PRI NICE  SIZE   RES STATE   TIME    CPU COMMAND
20009 root       1  60    0  703M  537M sleep  55:58  0.53% makedbz

for a history file that was 2147483647 in size, and arguments
of makedbz -s35000000 -o -f /news/history

[Yes, I know that 35000000 lines of history is quite a bit, but
if you figure 600K articles/day and spools that are running
100GB on a routine basis these days, well, if you don't carry a
lot of warez and mp3's, it is amazing what you can do.]

Have I accidentally triggered some undetected limit that's making
the makedbz thrash, or is that just the sort of memory footprint
I should expect?

Thanks,

Joe