Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Olaf Titz olaf at bigred.inka.de
Fri Jul 7 23:01:24 UTC 2000

> The main reason I employ the perl filter_post hook is to rewrite the
> headers of the submitter's article.  Specifically, I replace whatever

This is a feature of questionable value. Rewriting headers runs the
inherent danger of breaking something. Do we really have to repeat the
errors the BBS network folks made 10 years ago? I always thought it
was the other way around...

> The main reason I want to see this is because I want to be able to
> squash any supplied Date: header of submitted articles and have nnrpd
> generate the Date: header itself.  I run NTP on my news servers, so I

You _will_ generate message loops with this scheme as soon as anyone
reposts old messages. And you won't even be able to recognize that,
because with Date and Path removed you will even lose all the sanity
checks to identify and reject those repostings before they go into the
system.

Munging incoming headers is evil. And unlike "POST feeds are evil"
there is a technical reason for this.

Olaf