Draft specification for future X-Trace header

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Jul 10 11:13:45 UTC 2000

On Fri, 7 Jul 2000, Kevin McKinnon wrote:

> Just my $0.02 before the weekend.  Again, if someone can give me a
> valid reason for a customer to be running a news server, I'll rethink
> my opinion.

  My people are getting news over a slow line, some with significant cost
savings from connecting at times when they would rather be sleeping. These
users can improve their performance to the user by pulling the groups they
read and delivering the content to readers from a local spool. And in the
case where there may be multiple readers in an office or family unit,
there is some saving to the ISP as well.

  Since INN uses IHAVE to the posting host, something like rpost in
needed. Some fair number of users seem to have set up mail to news
gateways to take messages from mailing lists and turn them into news.
Since newsreaders do a better job, in general, of threading and handling
large volume related messages, there is a large benefit to presorting
incoming mail that way. As discussed elsewhere, set up the "group" as
moderated and the moderator address as the submission address.

  Anyway, there are some reasons why someone might set up a news server at
home. Given that many Linux distributions include a news server, there are
benefits and more people are doing it.

  But I still don't want to give someone peer access if they are a user in
the ISP sense.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc