INND and CNFS on raw-device

Bruce Rodger Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk
Sat Jul 15 20:58:05 UTC 2000

On 14 Jul 2000, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Charles Ball <cball at bu.edu> writes:
> > As I understand it, the problem is that lseek is limited to 32bits (2Gb)
> > of offset when working with raw devices on Solaris.
>
> No, that's not the problem.  The problem is that Solaris doesn't support
> block devices for access beyond 2GB, at least in 32-bit mode;
>
> I believe newer versions of Solaris starting with Solaris 7 are supposed
> to support block devices larger than 2GB iff you're running in 64-bit
> mode, so that may be another alternative to investigate.  I'm not aware of
> anyone who's already gotten INN working in that environment, though, so
> it's a bit of unchartered territory.

We're running INN 2.3-beta on Solaris 8, in 64-bit mode, and it seems to be
coping with 9Gb cycbuffs.

I didn't do the install - my colleague who did it is currently on
holiday - but as far as I know there were no real problems. We just
compiled it with largefiles support, and it seems to be working OK.

Bruce.
--
Bruce Rodger                      |Bruce.Rodger at strath.ac.uk  PGP key available
Network Manager, IT Services      |http://www.strath.ac.uk/IT/People/bruce.html