combo -current/diablo...

Geoff Wilson gmwils at ecr.mu.oz.au
Mon Jul 17 02:01:02 UTC 2000

On Fri, Jul 14, 2000 at 06:04:29PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> > Anybody using a header feed from a -current or INN2.[34] machine spool
> > to feed a diablo reader cache?
>
> No one has, to my knowledge, yet written header feed support for INN,
> either as part of innfeed for sending or part of the storage system for
> accepting.  I'd love to see such a thing and would love to include it in
> INN; the innfeed part may not even be that hard.

I've set this up in a test environment, but have not rolled it out into
production. Admittedly, it was with INN 2.2.2 but innfeed hasn't changed much
since then (to my knowledge). The simple way to do it, is to compile a
separate version of innfeed that only does header only feeds. You give it a
separate innfeed-something.conf to work with, and then feed it the articles
that you want to go to your reader cache.

------ from news.software.nntp <812hlh$hb8$1 at inn.do.mms.mt.nec.co.jp> ----
I don't think it's so difficult to do it.  Changing
second argument for SMretrieve() in innfeed/article.c
to RETR_HEAD would help you.

} btw. is there plans/timeline for this feature being included in INN? 2.3?

I think this kind of feed needs an nntp extension.  I
am not going to introduce it into CURRENT tree until
it's defined.  I think it should be done thru another
negotiaion like 'mode header'.
--
Katsuhiro Kondou

--------------------

It is quite simple to get going once that is done. You do need to fiddle with
newsfeeds a bit though. Not the *best* solution, but one that works until INN
and Diablo play nicely together.

------- newsfeeds ideas ----- (assume innfeedh is mod'd innfeed) ----

innfeedh!:!*:Tc,Wnm*:{path inn-bin}/startinnfeedh -c innfeedh.conf

reader1:*:Tm:innfeedh!

Where startinnfeedh starts your modified version of innfeed. You need to have
a corresponding entry to reader1 in innfeedh.conf, but that works out to be
pretty obvious after a while.

Hope this helps,

Geoff

--
	a paranoid is just someone with all of the facts at his disposal
		- william seaward burroughs  1914-1997

Geoff M. Wilson <gmwils at zark.thedonkeys.org>  www.zark.thedonkeys.org/~gmwils