Article Cancel

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 19 20:29:42 UTC 2000

OlivierS <teardrop at wanadoo.fr> writes:

> It happens a weird thing when i cancel an article ... the article
> indexing is not decreased and for exemple if i had 5 messages in a
> newsgroups, i cancel one ... the message doesnt appear but netscape
> always says 5 articles and i the active file i have also 5 articles ...
> Anyone can give me a solution please ?

That's correct behavior.  Neither the low nor the high article counts are
adjusted for cancels.  The high article count can't be adjusted, or INN
would reuse article numbers, which isn't allowed.  The low could be, if
the cancel were for the lowest-numbered article in the group, but INN
doesn't have enough information to know to do that until nightly expire.