running two newsgroup servers on the same machine.

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Thu Jun 22 07:43:48 UTC 2000

I'm sorry about the delay in answering your question; I'm not sure if this
will still be useful but I thought I'd try anyway.

G Sudheer <sudheer.gentela at yasutech.com> writes:

> In order to remove the headache for the adminstrator we thought that we
> could set up INN (2.2) on our machine and have our java NNTP server
> running on another port on the same machine so that we could takeover
> the headache till we can find another alternative. The problem why i
> cannot move to a complete INN installation is that the application code
> is written for the java NNTP server.

> So my questions are :
> Is it feasible to have two newsgroups server running on the same
> machine?

Yes.  Of course, clients connecting to that server need to connect to the
appropriate port, since you can't run both servers on the same port.

> Can i have nnrpd send messages to a port other than 119 and that too on
> the same machine?

I'm not sure what you mean by "send messages," but you can run nnrpd on
any port that you want.