What does makehistory make ?

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Sat Jun 24 02:30:38 UTC 2000

Jean-Michel BESNARD <jmbesnard at almeda.de> writes:

> my server is only used with a special client (java servlet).

> I had a strange problem, the news articles was only accessible with a
> normal client like netscape and no more with the servlet (no such
> article).

> I have make a makehistory -buv and all run now without problem.  Can
> anybody explain the necessity of use this script. Is there other tools
> wich must be run ?

It sounds like the article may have been missing from the history file for
some reason.  I'm not sure how that came to happen, though.  (I'm making
the guess that the difference between Netscape and your Java client is
that the Java client may have been retrieving messages by message ID, but
I don't actually know.  The answer likely lies in whatever the difference
between the Java client and Netscape is.)