Whitespace, continuation, and quoted strings in conf files

Todd Olson tco2 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 26 15:21:16 UTC 2000

Hi Russ

>Okay, after reading through all the comments (*thank you* -- this makes it
>much easier to design something that will work well in the long term),
>here's what I think makes the most sense:

[...]

>Does all of that sound reasonable to people?  That will give us "almost C"
>string handling, with the only significant difference being that leading
>whitespace on the line after a continuation is discarded.

Seems good to me.

BTW, kudos on how you handled this whole discussion.  Putting the spec
out there, and taking all the feedback and then developing and putting
out a new spec encorporating the suggestions is hard to do and you
did it well.  I very much appreciate that you are open to having your
views modified by cogent arguments, and that you are willing to listen
all arguments, cogent or not.  Well done!

Regards,
Todd Olson
Cornell University