setrlimit(RLIMIT_DATA, RLIM_INFINITY): Invalid argument

Heath Kehoe heath.kehoe at intermec.com
Tue Jun 27 14:52:03 UTC 2000

>Javier Perez Vega <javier.perez at alcatel.es> writes:
>
>> I am having the problem everytime the server is started.
>
>> OS is
>> HP-UX serhaed B.10.20 A 9000/778
>
>As near as I can tell from poking around on HP-UX 11.00, it's not possible
>to set the data limit to infinity, even as root.  Heath, have you seen
>this before and is there a good fix for it?

HP/UX does not let you setrlimit stack or data size beyond the maximum
sizes set by the maxdsize and maxssize kernel parameters.  But since
the default rlimits for stack and data are as large as what is allowed
by their respective kernel parameters, there is no need to set them
higher.

>I'm also wondering why innfeed increases the data and stack limits at all;
>innd doesn't, and surely innd doesn't use more space than innfeed does.
>Maybe we should just not bother?

Or just remove the setrlimit error messages and let them silently fail.

-heath