Recommended procedure for upgrading the site directory

Chris Martin chris.martin2 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 29 11:46:36 UTC 2000

As part of the procedure I use to upgrade, after running ./configure
and make, I copy the contents of the site directory in the old source
directory to the site directory in the new one, overwriting all the
copies of the files from samples.

This is fine, ~news/etc doesn't need to change, until I make a change
to one of the files in the new site directory and run 'make install'
there -- it complains that about four files differ from the samples
files and refuses to go any further.

To get round this, I have copied the file it picks on back over the
file in samples and repeat 'make install' until it runs to completion.

Is there a better way of doing this?