503 NNTP server unavailable.

Roland Jesse jesse at prinz-atm.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De
Mon Mar 20 17:20:29 UTC 2000

Katsuhiro Kondou <kondou at nec.co.jp> writes:

> } -rw-rw-r--   1 news     news           0 Mar 20 11:12 news.notice
>
> Have you sent SIGHUP to syslogd after syslog.conf
> is modified?

I did not modify syslog.conf as configure sayed: "checking log
facility for news... LOG_NEWS" and INSTALL tells us that inn will use
the `news' syslog facility in case it is available. (It is a Solaris
2.6 machine, btw.)

> Error message will be logged to news.notice, if
> there is syntax error,

Hhm, hhm, according to its zero file length, the file's syntax seems
to be ok. But in case I am not seeing it, here is the contents of my
readers.conf (comments removed):

auth "outside" {
        hosts: "*"
}
auth "localhost" {
        hosts: "stdin,localhost,127.0.0.1"
        default: "<localhost-user>"
        default-domain: "cs.uni-magdeburg.de"
}
auth "FIN" {
        hosts: "*cs.uni-magdeburg.de"
        default: "<staffers>"
        default-domain: "cs.uni-magdeburg.de"
        access: "Read Post"
}
auth "shell" {
        hosts: "shell*.cs.uni-magdeburg.de"
        default: "<shell-user>"
        default-domain: "cs.uni-magdeburg.de"
        res: "ident"
}
access "users" {
        users: "*"
        newsgroups: "*,!internal.*"
        access: "Read Post"
}
access "staffers" {
        users: "*"
        newsgroups: "*"
        access: "Read Post"
}
access "no-one" {
        users: "<no-user>"
        read: "*"
}

That looks fine to me, even though we don't have any machines called
shell*cs... over here.

        Roland