Your patch for SSL support in nnrpd

Toon van der Pas toon at vdpas.hobby.nl
Fri Mar 24 20:45:39 UTC 2000

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 09:07:12PM +0900, Kenichi Okada wrote:
> In the message "Your patch for SSL support in nnrpd"
>                <38DAA3A8.13FD9E04 at vdpas.hobby.nl>
> Toon van der Pas <toon at vdpas.hobby.nl> wrote:
>
> > This looks very promising.
> > I hope this will be incorporated into INN soon.
>
> Now INN-current includes it.

Well, I just checked inn-STABLE_2_2-2000-03-24_03-06 and is isn't in.
So I take it that by "current" you mean "bleeding edge"?
That's not exactly what I tend to run on out production machines.  :-(

> > Actually, what I need is just a secure way (using SASL) for users
> > to logon to my newsserver over the internet, using the command
> > The resulting session doesn't need to be encrypted.
> > Is this going to be supported?
>
> Now nnrpd implements only Security Layer support,
> which is an extension of RFC 2595. This means you can get SSL or TLS
> encrypted NNRP between your server and newsreaders.
>
> > BTW1: Do you know which news clients support this kind of secure
> >       logon?
>
> Wanderlust
> 	http://www.gohome.org/wl/index-e.html
> or
> Gnus + ftp://opaopa.org/pub/inn/nntp.el.patch  (experimental)
>
> Each client needs starttls-0.2.tar.gz.

Not exactly the software most clueless users use, I'm afraid.
How about Outlook Express? Netscape Communicator?
The have a secure option, don't they?
Do they conform to your implementation?
To draft-barber-nntp-imp-07 maybe?

This world needs a solution that works for most (if not all) of us.

Thanks for your reply. Don't take this negatively.
You're doing a wonderful job. I just wonder why rfc 977 is still current.

Regards,
Toon.